Old Korean Legation in Washington D.C.
Through our management of the former Korean (Empire) Legation building in Washington D.C.,
we highlight the history of the diplomatic efforts and friendly relations shared by the Korean Empire and the United States.
Overview of the Legation
Following the conclusion of the Korea-United States Treaty of 1882, the Joseon Dynasty government established its first legation in the United States in 1888. Situated in the Logan Circle neighborhood of Washington D.C., the current legation building was acquired by the Korean government in 1889. It served as a diplomatic mission for sixteen years until the Korean Empire’s diplomatic rights were deprived by Japan with the conclusion of the Protectorate Treaty of 1905. The ownership of the building was transferred to Japan in 1910 as part of Japan’s forced annexation of Korea. However, in 2012, the former Korean legation building was returned to Korean ownership through purchase by the Cultural Heritage Administration, thanks to the longstanding interest by the Korean-American community in the United States and the endeavors of the Korean government following the centennial anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Korea and the U.S..
Restoration of the Old Korean Legation Building
The OKCHF was entrusted with the management and operation of the former Korean legation building by the Cultural Heritage Administration in January 2013. Following a safety inspection and survey of the building, restoration and repair work was carried out from October 2015 through March 2018. The building was restored to reflect its appearance during the Korean Empire period (1897–1910). The first and second floors were restored close to the original form from when the Korean legation was in operation. The third floor was remodeled into an exhibition space. It reopened to the public in May 2018.
Utilization of the Old Korean Legation Building
Visits to and guided tours of the Old Korean legation building can be booked online in advance or on-site. Upon request, professional docents fluent in both Korean and English can provide guided tours that present the history of the building in a vibrant and easy-to-understand manner.
The OKCHF is constantly developing new diverse programs so that the legation can become a local attraction not only for Koreans, but for Americans from the local community.
Opening Hours: 10:00–17:00 / Free admission
Closed on Mondays (open on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays)
Reservations : www.oldkoreanlegation.org